Monday, July 11, 2011

DIRT IS A BEATING HEART.

Dirt has a bad reputation. It is associated with filth, poor hygiene, and illness. For these reasons, some people opt to use words like soil under circumstances where the word dirt might be used. Making this distinction helps prevent ruining the reputation of soil, which, despite its amazing ecological services, is too often neglected. Perhaps this is a smart strategy.


But let's face it, soil is pretty dirty, and even the filthy part of dirt has its redeeming qualities. Plus, I have always liked the word, it's short, monosyllabic, and the entity it represents is both omnipresent and of vast ecological importance. So I prefer a more direct approach. I like to use the word dirt in cases where soil would be used, and beyond. I like to put it in unconventional contexts within a framework that is (hopefully) both viscerally and aesthetically stimulating. In this way I hope to expand on its meaning or even redefine it entirely. Tonight I present to you a recent work featuring dirt that I am excited about. It's a pastel piece inspired by me being given a box of pastels, and it's called "DIRT IS A BEATING HEART."






If you have any thoughts or feelings about dirt, or this particular piece, feel free to make it heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment