Saturday, July 2, 2011

Greetings Friends and On-Lookers! Welcome to...

BREATHE
HEAR
COW

...the naturalist's guide to consciousness, interdependence, and the divine bovine. I have created this blog primarily as an outlet for personal expression. I have the hope that one day it may evolve into more of a collaborative project and a forum for expression, analysis and discussion, but its birth truly arises out of my desire to produce diverse personal works and share them with friends, family, and the general public. As time goes on, I will post original music, poetry, critical writing, visual art, and more. These works will cover many topics, but will all revolve around themes central to my own personal journey of learning and growth, summarized in the sub-title by the terms 'consciousness', 'interdependence', and 'the divine bovine'. 

These terms (as well as others central to the content of this blog such as 'natural' or 'sustainable') are LOADED, which is to say they have complex, diverse, and often obscured meanings that, when examined in context, can tell us something about the way individuals and the general public relate to the terms and the concepts they represent. With that in mind, I feel obligated to explain the way I am using them in this context.  However, for the time being I must let the terms speak mostly for themselves, largely because much of my current intellectual and artistic endeavor is aimed at trying to understand for myself what I mean when I use these words. As for an introduction, I can only say that 'consciousness' has something to do with the act of being, 'interdependence' has something to do with the act of being in community with other beings, and 'the divine bovine' has to do with the most worship-able of all the domesticated animals: the cow. I would like to note (keeping interdependence in mind) that I don't believe the cow is more sacred than anything else in this world. I will not, however, hesitate to expound and proselytize their divinity, for reasons that I hope will become more clear as I reveal my personal works.

I'd like to conclude this first post by offering some background on myself. I am a recent graduate of Hampshire College in Amherst, MA, where I studied diverse subjects in nature, ecology, spirituality and sustainability. These are also LOADED words that I have only begun to define for myself, and will be recurring themes in the content of this blog. My studies eventually led me to develop a deep reverence for ruminant-managed pasture ecosystems, and I wrote my thesis on the science and politics of farmstead dairying (Microbiology and Immunology Relevant to Dairy Safety and Human Health: A Critical Analysis of the Raw Milk Debate).

That is all for my first post! I hope people find the content I post interesting and I strongly encourage folks to post their reactions, comments and criticisms in the comments section, as this project is intended to be a reflective process and would benefit greatly from outside perspectives. And remember...

BREATHE
HEAR
COW

No comments:

Post a Comment